T he firm was founded by Paynter F. Watson in 1896. He and his wife M. Patience (Pasha) moved to Selbyville in January 1896 where he opened his undertaking busness and his carriage and harness shop. His business was called "P. F. Watson, Undertaker and Embalmer, Dealer in Carriages, Harness, Robes, Blankets, Hardware, Etc." Mr. Watson provided embalming in the deceased home, custom built wooden coffins, a horse drawn hearse and very basic services to families in Maryland and Delaware. In 1918, at the age of 47, Mr. Watson suddenly died leaving his wife, Pasha, and 8 year old daughter, Madeline behind.